MSOC: NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 Set, Calvin and UChicago set for battle

The first two rounds of the D3 Men’s Soccer NCAA Tournament Championship are in the books, and the Sweet 16 matchups are set for this weekend. To see the complete bracket breakdown is available on the NCAA Website Tournament Page.

SWEET 16 MATCH TO WATCH: Top-ranked Calvin (21-0-1) squares off at No. 11 UChicago (18-2), 11/17 @ 6pm.


Calvin’s Nate Van Ryn (Calvin Athletics photo)

UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS, Oh. – The top-ranked Calvin men’s soccer team defeated #20 John Carroll University 2-0 in a second round game of the NCAA III Tournament Saturday night.

Calvin (21-0-1) scored two goals in the final 4:10 of regulation to secure the victory.

With the win, Calvin advances to the Round of 16 of the NCAA III Tournament for the third straight year.

The winning goal came off a long throw-in by junior Trent Vegter (Hudsonville, Mich./Unity Christian HS). Vegter’s throw was deflected to the top of the box. Sophomore Dillon Weldy (Grand Rapids, Mich./Grand Rapids Christian HS) was able to secure the loose ball and crank a shot from the right side of the box that hit the right post. Calvin senior Matt Hinds (Frankenmuth, Mich./Frankenmuth HS) darted in behind a scrum of players and poked the rebound shot into the net with just 4:10 left in regulation.

John Carroll (16-3-2) pressed for the equalizer in the closing minutes but the Knights blocked four shots by the Blue Streaks in the final minutes.

The Knights were able to counter-attack in the final minute leading to the clinching goal. Weldy took a pass along the right wing, beat a defender near the corner and squared a pass to senior Mitch Stark (South Lyon, Mich./South Lyon HS) at the far post. Stark made no mistake, firing in a shot with 31 seconds remaining to seal the win.

John Carroll finished with a 16-12 shots at goal advantage but senior Nate Van Ryn (Grandville, Mich./Calvin Christian HS) was up to the task, making two key saves to post his 15th shutout victory of the season.

The winning goal by Hinds was his third game-winner of the season. Stark’s goal was his second of the year.

“What a great team result against a tremendous John Carroll team,” said Calvin men’s soccer coach Ryan Souders. “They (John Carroll) outplayed us for spells and were exceptionally talented. But credit our guys; they found a way. It was a gritty, gutsy all-out performance led by our seniors. I couldn’t ask for anything more. To get a true road tournament win is incredibly difficult and these guys got it done. We’re ecstatic to still be dancing.”

Calvin will face an opponent out of the Central Region on November 17 in the Round of 16.

Saturday marked an unusual day for John Carroll at Don Shula Stadium as its football team met No. 2-ranked Mount Union earlier in the afternoon. It gave the Blue Streaks the distinction of facing a pair of top-two ranked opponents on the same field on the same date.

Calvin and John Carroll have now met twice in the NCAA III Tournament with each team now owning one win against the other. John Carroll defeated Calvin 1-0 in the first round of the 2007 NCAA III Tournament.

SOURCE: Calvin Athletics Press Release


UChicago’s Max Lopez (Maroon Athletics photo)

CHICAGO – A pair of highlight-reel goals from forward Matthew Koh gave the University of Chicago men’s soccer team a 2-0 win over Capital University in the second round of the NCAA Division III Championship on Sunday night.

The No. 7-ranked Maroons improved to 18-2 and set a new school record for wins in a season. They will face off with Calvin College next Friday in the NCAA Round of 16. This marks the second-straight year and third time overall that UChicago men’s soccer has reached the Round of 16.

Sunday’s morning and afternoon rain made for wet turf at Stagg Field. It was the host Maroons who imposed their will in the first half, outshooting in the Crusaders 8-1. UChicago put three shots on goal between the 8th and 17th minutes. However, the game remained scoreless at the break.

The best opportunity of the half came in the 23rd minute when junior forward Max Lopez smacked a left-footed strike top shelf from the top of the box. But the goal was waved off due to an offside call.

When UChicago brought numbers forward, the organized Capital defense kept seven behind the ball constantly and packed in the middle, resulting in numerous blocked shots. The offense finally broke through courtesy of Koh in the 66th minute. The junior forward gathered a free kick from sophomore forward Dayo Adeosun, and then struck a perfect tailing strike from 25 yards out right-to-left that curved inside the far post.

Down a goal, the Crusaders (13-8-2 record) pushed with urgency for the equalizer. But it was Koh who drove in the final nail in the 83rd minute. A long clearance by UChicago’s back line bounced in the midfield and Koh headed the ball forward to himself. The junior then turned on the afterburners, streaking behind the defense and going one-on-one with the goalkeeper. He deftly slid a shot just under the goalie that pinged off the left post and in.

The Maroons nearly made it 3-0 in the 87th minute. Senior midfielder Andre Abedian’s header in front was stonewalled by the goalkeeper with a full-extension dive.

UChicago first-year net minder Aaron Katsimpalis (5-0 record) came up with quality stops throughout the night, making two saves en route to the shutout. Katsimpalis and his defenders were particularly effective at shutting down Capital’s corner kicks and long throw-ins.

In the final stats, the Maroons led shots 18-9 and corner kicks 5-3.

SOURCE: UChicago Athletics Press Release




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s